top of page
Family Offenses

Family Offenses

Your Behavior Matters

The Family Court Act enumerates certain criminal behaviors as being family offenses for which a person can seek an order of protection. In New York State, orders of protection can be granted by the Family Court, Supreme Court or the Criminal Court. Although a family offense proceeding brought in Family Court or Supreme Court is civil in nature, it does not prohibit a person from also bringing a criminal action for the same offense at the same time.

When domestic violence, whether physical or emotional, has become part of an intimate relationship between spouses or former spouses, between a parent and child, or between members of the same family or household, a party can seek an order of protection on their behalf and on the behalf of their children. 

Our office has successfully brought and defended against applications for order of protection in the Family Court and the Supreme Court on behalf of our clients. It is important that an application for an order of protection be properly litigated by a knowledgeable attorney, otherwise, the court could decline to issue an order of protection and that could have negative repercussions. An order of protection could direct that a party stay away from you or your children, that a party must vacate the family home, or prevent a party from possessing a firearm.  

It is important to have the right attorneys on your side whether you are seeking an order of protection or whether you are defending against an alleged family offense. If you are defending against an alleged family offense, it is important to have knowledgeable representation to zealously advocate on your behalf as the ramifications of an order of protection being issued against you can be far-reaching.

The attorneys at the Law Offices of Barry J. Fisher, P.C., represent clients in Nassau and Suffolk County and throughout the boroughs of New York City.

For more information and to schedule a personal consultation with the Law Offices of Barry J. Fisher, P.C., please contact us online or call our Garden City, New York office at (516) 280-5065.

super lawyers logo
Avvo 9.8 ratings badge
Martindale Hubbel Preeminent badge
US News Best Law Firms badge

More Practice Areas

bottom of page